Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I <3 URB Mag

I was going to blog about losing a cd and the pains of music karma, but then I realized there is an easy solution to my conundrum. Back-up your data, and make copies.

When I first really got into music, URB magazine was a fundamental resource. Living in Alaska, you're kind of detached from whatever "scene" is happening and this was right before file-sharing became all the rage. URB filled a void that I desperately needed during my high school years. I still have a box of back issues in my parents home. [Sidenote, it was funny to hear at a lecture the person introducing someone say "featured in U-R-B."] The magazine has been around since the early 90s and the video below helps to explain the history and role of URB as told by the creator Raymond Roker.


Episode 02-Raymond Roker-Hay Fam Show from Hay Fam Show on Vimeo.

URB is still going strong and I have to give props to two recent posts found on their blog that coincidentally give props to Detroit. One is a video on Detroit techno label Underground Resistance, which is right below. The other post is a link to a New York Times article titled "This Band Was Punk Before Punk Was Punk," which pretty much says it all.


No comments: